Monday, March 19, 2012


My soul is starting to revive. I'm not only writing again, I've started editing Wikipedia again. Things that I stopped doing because I was too exhausted as a truck driver to continue doing, and had given up because I was diverting all my money to pay for a third marriage, and because I had grown weary with life and decided didn't matter, I am once again doing for sheer love. 

Mind you, I've decided that life is much too short for me to spend any more time trying to woo and please a woman. This is not a statement against women. I suspect that, in a different culture, I could have a successful marriage. But my personality, physiology and history, plus this culture and these times, all combine to make an aromatic poop sauce out of my intersex relationships.

I probably say this more than I need to. But it comes into my mind more than it probably will as the years pass and I grow more content with my life. I'm reminded of it now because I've only had this point of view -- that bachelorhood can be a good thing -- for a comparatively short time, and because I'm gradually discovering more benefits. At this time I'm still in the process of convincing myself that the course I've found to be necessary, is also good.

So maybe I should stop feeling embarrassed that I talk about bachelorhood frequently. I notice myself mentioning it and consider the line, "the dude doth protest too much, methinks." Is it evidence that I don't believe what I say, that I say it so often? That I'm trying to persuade myself?

Not necessarily, and as I now think, no. This whole lifestyle, and the possibilities that go with it, cut against the grain of my religion and a lifetime of expectations and hopes. So yeah, I am trying to convince myself, in the sense that the trained areas of my brain still react against what I'm doing and planning. It's how things work when you adopt a transcendent idea and have to put off old ways.

I have my own reasons for deciding to be a bachelor which are actually perfectly consistent with my religion and philosophy; not the stuff I'd talk to just anyone about (it has nothing to do with wanting to caress men's bums). This makes it easier; I'm not rebelling against former beliefs, so much as adjusting my expectations. It's a huge change, and as I get used to it, I start thinking of ways my life can change. For instance, I don't HAVE to be a trucker any more if I don't want to. At least, I'm under less pressure to barf up money to maintain child support plus a marriage.

With the incredible kindness and encouragement of my younger sister, who invited me to live with her family while I finish my recovery from brain surgery and revive my writing, I am beginning to do just that. It's been heavenly to spend frequent sessions discussing books and ideas with her. I didn't know until just a few years ago that we shared literary interests. Now she's encouraging me to consider professional and artistic goals that I'd discarded long ago because they didn't seem practical.


  • ‎3,100 words last night. Kinda scares me; it was comforting, to a degree, to think I was forever done with fiction, because that made me feel like a hard-nosed, practical man. Argh, now I have to contend with that cherished old ghost of creative compulsion.

    KLC: 
    I'm glad that you are not forever done with fiction. I think being a "hard-nosed, practical man" is highly overrated. I have no talent for writing, so I am truly appreciative of those persons who do have that talent. I spend a lot of tim...
      • Preston McConkie Wow, that's profound, "characters who won't suffer if I make a mistake." That was the rub about journalism. When I screwed up, people sometimes got hurt.

        BG: 
        On the other hand, my wife and I were talking about how we as readers suffered as teenagers when we thought Gandalf died in the Fellowship of the Rings, and how gratified we were when Tolkien brought him back in The Two Towers. Don't underestimate the impact that a well written character can have upon a reader.
      • Preston McConkie I've struggled for 15 years with the question of whether fiction was a worthy pursuit for a man of faith. More than 20 years ago I began wrestling with the question of whether science fiction was worthy for a man of faith. I determined then, that I wouldn't write atheist future fiction; if I could write in a multiworld universe, God would be its author. Very slowly I began to build a theistic but fascinating multiverse; I just thank my creator that I was raised LDS and have a theology that embraces an infinite universe filled with peopled worlds.

        But in 1996 I had what I then considered a permanent transcendent experience that turned me away from fiction and very quickly set me on the road that within weeks had me hosting a radio show and, in a little over a year, writing columns and news. I assumed for a long time that fiction was forever behind me.

        But the urge never fully departed and I remembered the joy I used to feel at creating life of my own. And I especially wanted to be someone who helped people feel joy like I felt reading spectacular books. While nothing has surpassed the exalted expansion of the mind and soul from reading God's word, still othing has ever surpassed for giddy pleasure and exhilaration the time I spent hiding in the BYU library during Education Week and devouring "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."

        But Douglas Adams was the most charming of atheists who ever lived, and I could not decide if my pleasure was lawful. Since then, though, I've read other works and examined the exaltation they light in me, and decided that fiction, in its place, can be more powerful than truth. Undoubtedly this is so, since God himself uses it in his allegories, and Christ taught in parables.

        At last, re-reading The Good Earth, for some reason it comes clear to me that fiction can be as noble as anything people create, and simultaneously as diverting, restful and joyful. And then I put my hand to the keyboard last night and felt words flowing.

        That doesn't mean my latest composition is worth reading by anyone. I hope it will be, but at least I know it is good for my own soul.

        I'm writing in stilted manner right now; I hope I don't sound as pompous to others as it seems that I am. I deliberately aim for a blend of Shakespearean/King James English and the manner of the 19th Century. It's my favorite form of expression, and emulated by my favorite writers, including the inimitable Joss Whedon.

        Anyway, here I am, starting over with some of the emotions and hopes of myself at 23, hammering out that last ambitious novel on the eve of my LDS mission to England. That was the last story I finished. Now I have experience and perspective and hopefully can write something more worthy than that 280 pages that, when I came back from my mission, shocked me with its awfulness and has daunted me ever since, knowing that I could deceive myself so utterly about the worth of my own work.

        Here's praying I'm at least marginally less sucky at fiction than I was then.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not just commenting positively because I am the amazing younger sister mentioned in the post... I really do like this post in general for other reasons! I think your introspection is exciting and the direction you are going is good. --Meow!!!

Preston McConkie said...

Thanks for the comment, O Sister O Mine. You and James have generously granted me the chance to be thus introspective and I'm glad it's at last bearing some fruit. All dedications go your way. Mreow.